Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2013
1,819 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 28, 2013 at 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My kids are cool View Post
My T and I have discussed the point pbutton brings up -- I find it humiliating that I have to KEEP talking about the same thing. Once I have mentioned something once, I tend to never bring it up again. He assures me that repetition in therapy is totally necessary, and has asked me if it is okay for him to bring up subjects again. I said it was. He will on occasion try to bring up subjects, particularly those he knows I will avoid whenever possible. I know I need to address these things, but cannot manage to force myself to bring up the topic.

Perhaps it would be helpful to just say to your T that you need help getting back to certain topics again. Or that you feel uncomfortable bringing up a topic the second time.
Hey MKAC, are or were you a really diligent student or otherwise high-achieving type? Do you feel like if you were "better" at therapy you'd have just gotten it on the first shot? Do you worry about sounding crazy perseverating on the same topic or that it's your job to keep your T engaged and he will just get bored of you if you can't keep providing fresh material? Or is the topic itself humiliating for you?
I bet there's something worth exploring behind the feeling that it's humiliating to have to keep talking about the same thing!
Favorite Jeans is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
FeelTheBurn