Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
888 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 01, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimage View Post
When I was last in the hospital, my treatment team, decided that I really needed a community case manager. I somewhat resisted the idea, as I don't think I'm that sick, but they pushed pretty hard, and I passed all the criteria for getting one, so I was put on the wait list for one from my part of Toronto. I got a call yesterday, from my new case manager, saying she wants an initial meeting next week. So I'm meeting her next Thurs.

Just does anyone have one, know what they're meant to do?

Thanks.

Splitimage
here in NY a case manager is like the boss... a mental health client has a whole team of treatment providers and the case manager makes sure everyone is working on the same page for the best of the client. they meet with the client, find out what their mental health problems and needs are. then helps the client get hooked up with all the community agencies and resources that can help that client have a better out patient prognosis and progress...

example I have a therapist, psychiatrist, medical doctor, neurologist, physical therapy, not to mention being a new mom to twins, my wife does what she can to help but even she cant be the one to keep me stable and out having my mental health symptoms of mania, depression, PTSD, Dissociative Disorders, eating disorder problems, nor can she be the one to keep my Multiple Sclerosis symptoms from causing problems.. So I need a wrap around me type of treatment program. with this wrap around me type program i can continue to work, and function outside of the hospital.

with so many services there needs to be someone who can act as an advocate over seeing all these treatment providers and ensuring everyone is working on whats in my and my family's best interest.

that where my case manager comes in. she meets with me and my wife, checks in on how things are going, whether we have any problems that are not being addressed and if so helps me to get hooked up with the right community agencies and services that will best a fit that problem. She has even filled in when my wife had an emergency to deal with at her work, by taking me to drop off the children at the sitters and taking me to my physical therapy appointment for my MS. If I hadnt had this case manager navigating all the services in my life would be quite stressful /frustrating. She was even able to tell us of some services that my wife and I did not know existed in our location for new parents and the type of mental and physical health problems I have.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
gracez