View Single Post
tealBumblebee
Magnate

Member Since Jul 2013
3,745 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 12, 2013 at 09:14 PM

Well...i've only been diagnosed Schizotypal for about two weeks lol. But I don't know that there are any other "active" Schizotypals on here, so i'll tell you just what I can from my two weeks of experience and research.

You say you've felt peculiar since as long as you can remember - I have felt "abnormal" but could never figure out why.

In regards to your safety shield - it could very well be a coping mechanism. I've never had the "eccentric fantasy world" - mine is more based on life as I currently know it. I do think that second grade is too early to diagnose anyone with anything. Many children have vivid imaginations and I think (could be my 'odd beliefs kicking in') that as a people, we are too eager to rush/dismiss those ideas and for children to act like mini-adults. Fantasy is a part of healthy development. In regards to what you actually fantasized about (aliens, and naked women) - i'm not qualified to interpret what that meant for you at the time. I'm sure there was some symbolic relationship around it - but again, thats not something I would be able to identify for you.

I think that the September 11th incident is an ironic coincidence - but I will say "ideas of reference" (which I do do but on a more personal level) is a symptom of Schizotypal.

I'm opposite of you. I barely remember pre-middle school. In fact I often don't feel like I existed before 6th grade. I know on a biological level I did, but my memories (the few I have) don't feel real to me. I can't identify any emotions to many events that I do happen to remember. There just a blink of a memory - never in detail and never complete.

However, you say you were bullied. Dissociation or disconnecting emotionally would have been a very plausible coping mechanism for you during that time period and could (but not necessarily does) explain why you have lost track of those memories.

Believing in having magical powers (again, something I don't have) is considered one of the biggest "symptoms" of Schizotypal PD. I always wished I had super powers (like Matilda) but I never actually thought I had them. I do remember trying very hard to get things to move with my eyes at one point - I felt I could if I focused enough. But I couldn't. And that didn't really surprise me but it was a nice effort lol.

Do you talk to the aliens because they are actually aliens who've developed (like a sibling or real friend) - or you just talk to the aliens so that your subconscious has "someone to talk to"? I talk to myself a LOT but i've kind of realized its because my mind is running too many ways, and thoughts start to counteract each other and when I talk out loud I can focus on one (or two) opinions at a time. Talking to the people in "my other world" is more to gain clarity and develop thoughts. Either way - yours or mine - would probably classify nicely under Schizotypal.

I had one of those popular overnight moments as well (but not for good reasons like you) and still remained (may have even enhanced it) socially awkward. I've always been very good at speaking (and debating, writing, etc.) but i have a "rushed" speech and a lot of people have trouble keeping up. When my depression hits, my speech isn't as rushed but I go off on wild tangents. Its become my norm.

The breakup with your girlfriend (especially as you entered early adulthood specifically) could have very well been a trigger to agitate Schizotypal symptoms if you did indeed have them. I've read that a high functioning Schizotypal is easy to blend in as just eccentric until a stressful event occurs and the "oddities" become more clear.

I think if you truly feel like you have more than ADHD, you should find a local therapist. Explain your dilemma and ask them if they could offer you a way to diagnose. My diagnosis was revealed between my T (who said she already had a pretty good idea what was "wrong" before taking the test) and the Millon Personality Inventory. The only way you'll truly find out is to seek help or guidance from a professional. Otherwise anything I say, anything you think, anything the internet tells you is purely speculation.