View Single Post
-jimi-
Jimi the rat

Member Since Dec 2008
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 09, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Some people are just extra sensitive. It doesn't have to be a symptom. It can be normalized if you allow it. Even though I have Asperger's syndrome I feel like many of my so called aspie behaviors are normal, it is just that the framework is too tight. It seems like it takes more and more from a person to be "normal". Normal these days = happy, outgoing, focused, energetic, smart, social, insensitive (to impression etc). For those who are not ALL of them, there is a diagnosis it seems.

I'm not saying diagnoses are bad. I'm just against narrowing down "normal" to an absurd.

There is a "thing" called HSP, Highly sensitive person. he beauty of it is it is a sort of framework for something that is not a disorder. It is having a neurological setup that increases sensitivity compared to others. 1 in 5 might be HSP or have traits of it. The neurology behind it is that we have mental "filters" and some have thinner filters. The sensitivity can take many forms. Some are more socially sensitive (can't stand conflict, might be shy or quiet, easily hurt, tired after socializing), some are more conscientious and careful (and sensitive to stress and danger) and some are prominently sensitive to sensation (loud noises, strong smells, touch etc). To be considered HSP you need several traits of sensitivity.

But even if you only have a few and you find it unusual it is really in the same category as HSP. It is "normal". If something bothers you to cause you severe issues you can maybe think in the terms of a proper diagnosis. Sometimes the issues come from society and then you can argue "who's" disordered. I still think it really is not YOU. Society is so hostile to sensitivity that the word sensitive even sets off bad feelings in people. Sensitive is bad bad!

The matter of pathologizing has to be individual. It is about where you want to draw the line. Just low latent inhibition is not a disorder in itself. It can however be underneath several disorders. For example I don't think you actually CAN have OCD without having LLI. There will always be a grey area between normal and disorder and always a spectrum spanning into what is seen as normal as well.

All my family are HSP and I am AS. You can debate if they have autistic traits or if I'm at least partly normal. Because we do have a lot in common. Just a matter of perspective.

Thanks for this!
Pierro