View Single Post
Perna
Pandita-in-training

Member Since Sep 2006
550 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 31, 2013 at 02:03 PM

I think since your limited experience with something similar to 1 (a vacation site) made no money, an upscale travel site is not likely to either. I imagine the very wealthy who travel do not make the reservations themselves, they have "minions" do it for them and those people are going to use better known/"safer" sites that have a proven track record (or the minion does all the work you are trying to sell)?

I don't think #2 will work either; I own several sites and program them myself. I was recently asked by my landscaper if I created websites and answered "no" but gave him GoDaddy's information on setting up a site and I do not think you can compete with the well-known, cheap, easy sites like GoDaddy (which also offers to program it for you instead of just do-it-yourself with their template software). People who can figure out how to do it themselves are not going to go through a third party to do it themselves and people like my landscaper that don't have a clue (I've had to reassure him a couple times :-) are going to go with names they "know" or have heard of that have a richness and depth in what they offer and are not just a templated site? You remind me of myself thinking to buy cheap put-it-together-yourself furniture, put it together, and then sell it already put together for a bit more. But there's already cheap furniture out there one can buy ready made, there's no point in people paying for my extra step. Either they like doing it themselves or they pay for someone else to have put it together already.

There is no do-no-work money out there online. I don't know if you have played with Google Adsense, I did with a large,well-known site, and I made nothing. You have to have several years of a large following before money making can happen. If I were going to try to make money online in this day and age I would buy and sell used books or have a storefront on eBay but both of them require a lot of hustle and knowing the "subject" well. If you do not know how to program, cannot build your own simple site, I would not try to sell sites to others. Any people you pick up as customers are going to have too many questions and problems to make it worth your while because they are going to be even more ignorant than yourself? One has to sell what one knows/has, not what one thinks; your two ideas seem too much like only untested ideas, I think you need more experience.

Thanks for this!
lizardlady