View Single Post
Anonymous24413

Default Nov 18, 2013 at 03:41 AM

I got my period when I was 9, as well. [*highfive!* ...sorry. heh]

The only thing is, and I'm REALLY not sure about the mechanics of this at all and never thought about it for some reason...
I'm on depoprovera. For many women it makes them stop menstruating... I am one of those women. I have been on it for several years and maybe I spot like once a year.

There are various reasons I am on it, not simply birth control, and I have found over all there is a huge benefit for me.
But menstruation, I thought?, was triggered essentially by the release of an egg from the ovary. The lining of the uterus builds up slightly but if the egg doesn't need to attach, there is no reason for that lining, and that's what the menstruation is.

But... my ovaries haven't released many eggs at all for the last several years. Each woman has a finite number of eggs [I keep writing "eggs" like I'm a damn chicken, sorry it's late] that their body can release. Once they have gone through those, menapause starts. When near the end, the body prepares for menapause.

So... sorry for the long background.
But i guess my curiosity is arriving at: yeah I started puberty basically sprinting out of the gate at nine years old, but I've been on depo provera for the better part of over a decade [taken a couple breaks of a couple months].

I'm 31 now.
I'm wondering how all that might factor together in terms of menopause.

Anyone have any personal insight into this?

I'm not sure how long depoprovera has been in use, so maybe no one has personal experience, or at lest not many at this point.

I'll try to look into it in the next few days though.

Sorry to thread jack. I just thought it kind of relevatn? sorry if not.
I don't know.
late.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote