View Single Post
SeptemberMorn
Most Legendary Elder

Member Since Jul 2003
397 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 05, 2004 at 02:57 PM

In a way, I'm sorry to hear that the rest of you don't believe the people that give you compliments and see strengths in you that you don't see. Someone told me once that if I sluff off a compliments, I might as well be calling that person a liar. When I heard that, of course I countered with "Well, you tell me that because you have to. I pay you to say that." YIKES! Did I encur the wrath of that person! When she came off her high horse, she explained that others see many strengths and virtues that we don't know we have or that as children, we were taught to believe that we were worthless... like me! She suggested very strongly that first of all, I need to say "thank you" when I'm given any kind of a positive statement about myself. The process to internalize the positive is a long and difficult one. Somehow, though, we have to find a way to let it sink in to our very core. I've often said that I wish I had a magic mirror that someone could stand me in front of and what I would see is the reflextion of what the other person sees in me. Alas! There is no such mirror.

Sometimes, I feel as if I am fishing for compliments when someone says something nice to or about me. I want to say "Realy???? Tell me more! Tell me over and over again until I can believe it!" Only thing is, one person will get tired of telling you, so instead, you have to be open to compliments from everybody you come in contact with. You'll soon learn to tell the difference between a true compliment and a fake one.

Somewhere on this board there are several postings of the article that I got handed when I told my T that she was paid to be nice. It's called "Beauty is in the 'I'. " Just like you can shut out a negative statement, you can invite the positive statements into your "boundary."

Hmmm... gotta go read that again.

<font color=blue>"Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" --Shakespeare</font color=blue>

Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
SeptemberMorn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote