View Single Post
Perna
Pandita-in-training

Member Since Sep 2006
550 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 30, 2013 at 02:05 PM

It's an attitude and rank order game. Decide to get a job, any job, for 1 year and save X dollars so you can move to Y location you prefer. Move and get a job, any job at Y location and start saving X dollars again while deciding do you want to go to school or work independently through/up the job market to Z-type job.

My youngest stepson was athletic and did not want to have a job inside. He started working fast food (when 16 :-) then a pet store then a restaurant as a bar tender (chains like TGIFridays have a program where you can get a job in any of their restaurants; he moved to the other coast for awhile, knowing he had an automatic job waiting for him while he was there) then he became a restaurant manager and then jumped sideways to an international beer company :-) He worked himself up through regional to the national level and just moved to New York City. He's 36 and has no college. Until recently he was still playing on a semi-pro ice hockey team :-) At one point, his much more successful brother (who only had 1-1/2-2 years college) was the sponsor of his hockey team (bought their uniforms, etc.).

You cannot steer unless the car is moving! Get a job in a big box store that specializes in the product of your choice (electronics, clothes, furniture, pets, a mix of things (a department store/Macy's for example) and study everything from all directions. When I got out of college and got my job at Sears, Roebuck I kept myself sane doing that, what I would do if I had my own business selling/producing, "that" department's stuff, how the accounting was done, how credit cards worked (this was back in the early 1970s when credit cards were new), transportation and distribution/warehousing, staff scheduling and payroll, at one time I even interviewed with the security head to be in the security department (after some pervert took a photograph of me going up the escalator from "under" my dress and was caught and his film confiscated, etc.).

Decide to improve your writing and take a job and write about it. Have you read Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich? A sociologist (one of my degrees is in sociology) did an experiment of taking minimum wage jobs and trying to live and wrote about it. Do an experiment you think up that would help you learn more about entrepreneurship opportunities; go get a couple part-time jobs in a couple different tiny businesses and see what you can learn? I worked part-time for nearly 10 years just to teach myself how to get/start a job and then how to quit so the whole thing wasn't so awkward-feeling to me. What do you want from your life? Figure out how to move toward it.

Thanks for this!
angryworld, H3rmit