View Single Post
Sam2
Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2012
2 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 12, 2013 at 04:34 PM

I admire your loyalty and willingness to stay with someone you love despite their emotional problems.

No where could I find anything on "letting", so I assume it has to do with the letting out of blood. In early times, Dr.s used to attach leaches to sick people or cut them to let the illness out. They called it "letting".

Self harm is all too common among young people, and sometimes adults as well. It can be anything from scratches all the way to breaking bones. Self harm is associated with the afflicted person trying to stop either severe emotional pain or stress. The act of cutting releases endorphins into the system, which are the body's natural pain relievers. People who cut may feel euphoria for a short time as well as relief from what ever is hurting them. It is only temporary though, leading the person to repeat the behavior again and again until it becomes an addiction. I know. Until about three years ago, I injured myself on a regular basis and the final time almost died.

There has been an association between OCD and cutting, and some of the medications used for OCD seem to help some people who self harm. Since you are considering being in a relationship, you should know that for some, self harm can be used as a form of manipulative behavior. That doesn't mean the person is in any less real pain or danger, but its something to watch for. As with any behavior, giving into demands because of the threat of self harm will only make it worse. That doesn't mean that everyone who self harms does that.

The best thing you can do for your intended love interest is support her. IF she isn't already going to therapy, encourage her to go. YOu can even go so far as to go with her and wait outside the treatment room in the waiting room. Psychiatric sessions can be hard and painful, and knowing that you are waiting outside in the waiting room to drive her home may help.

Sam2
Sam2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote