View Single Post
The_little_didgee
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2013
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 22, 2013 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracking Slowly View Post
I've been thinking a lot lately of trying to get a therapist. But I fear opening up to anyone. I usually avoid people as much as possible and I never allow anyone in to get close to me. I'm not sure how to get past these feelings in order to seek help. I feel like a therapist will just want to get me a doctor who will then just want to put me on medication. No offense to anyone here but I fear all the side effects that comes with taking medication. I would like to have a therapist to help me sort out all this junk in my head but I just don't want to cover it all up by taking medication that may cause me other issues. Any advice?
Opening up comes with trust which takes time to develop. I am in therapy and have been for about 19 months and I am only starting to trust her. My first few appointments were really difficult, because I was scared of getting misdiagnosed again and judged. Feeling vulnerable is yucky but I try to talk because she has been very patient with me.

You don't need to take medication or agree to see a psychiatrist (unless you have a severe illness that threatens your safety and that of others). You can tell the therapist that. Most will respect your wishes. Why do you think you will be made to see a doctor?

Hugs from:
Anonymous100103

Thanks for this!
Gr3tta