Angel of Bedlam
Grand Member

Member Since Oct 2013
1 hugs
given
Default Jan 04, 2014 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimm38 View Post
I'm a heterosexual twenty-three-year-old guy who's never been on a date, had a girlfriend, kissed or had sex. (I'm in my last year in college.)

During the summer of 2013 I grew interested in dating and such. I've worked on my personal development a lot: I become physically fit, learned to dress better, got a nice haircut, and honed my social skills. I assumed my new self would be attractive to women.

But it didn't seem to matter. Sure, my peers complimented me for becoming a better version of myself, but I still had 0 success in romance. I asked out hundreds of girls, both online and offline, and they all rejected me.

I was dumbfounded as to why this was the case, so I started doing research into attractiveness. I discovered that there are general preferences for what's considered physically attractive. So I had a photo of me rated by almost 100 women. All of them agreed that, while I'm average, “OK” looking, none would date me or find me attractive whatsoever. Again, I was literally dumbfounded, as these women were mostly average looking.

So I asked a buddy of mine to take my photo to some of his lady friends and have them take a look at it. They all seemed very repulsed by how I looked, even though they couldn't explain why, as they said my face looked ok. They specifically said that I look like a rapist; that I have a serial killer face; that they would never approach me; that if I were to approach them in a bar they would feel uncomfortable; and that I'm not their type. (I got this “not my type” thing a lot in real life.)

I have come to the conclusion that there must be something very wrong with my face. I suspect that I suffer from some mental illness and this shows on my face.

Would you agree with this assumption? How can I figure out what's the cause of my lackluster romantic life?

PS: I live in a 3rd world country with appalling health care. Seeing a therapist now isn't an option, that's why I'm here.
One thing that I noticed is that you have placed a great deal of emphasis on your looks, stating mainly things about your appearance.

Appearances are important to a degree, but only that. I personally would MUCH rather be with someone who could make me laugh and connect with me rather than someone who looked like Brad Pitt.

I think relaxing for you is important. Taking things as they come and maybe change your approach. Having done the online dating thing, I found nearly every person to comenon too strong and really never met anyone worth my time.

You are not this person. I am sorry that you don't like your appearance, I can completely relate. Try remembering you're more than that. Maybe not putting so much stock into it will help some of your issues.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Am I the only one I know, waging my wars behind my face and above my throat?

Diagnosed:
BPD

PTSD
Angel of Bedlam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
danvb