View Single Post
AllyIsHopeful
Poohbah

Member Since Dec 2013
1,007 hugs
given
Trig Jan 05, 2014 at 10:53 PM

It's really scary telling therapists about those thoughts or feelings. Honestly, they all react differently. Some are calm and more prepared and confident in dealing with it on their own and others slightly panic and jump the gun right away for liability reasons. I guess it kind of depends on their past experiences and if they've lost a client to suicide or have had clients make serious attempts. In those cases, they may be a little more hesitant to trust that a client will not hurt themselves.
It depends on how serious this feeling is for you, as well. If you get to a point where you sincerely feel you could do something or go through with a plan, you need to talk about it and please don't wait to bring it up with your T. Your life is the most important thing at stake, and any type of intervention - hospitalization, 52/50 hold, inpatient, contract for safety, etc. - will be absolutely worth it in the end, because you will still be here.

I have talked about SI with my T several times. She knows many of the thoughts and planning that goes on in my mind, and some of the triggers for them. One night when I was really serious, she cancelled another clients appointment to have me come in. I was completely distressed, told her what I planned on doing and that I have every intention on doing it. She responded with "It makes me so sad that you feel this way." She also said "you need to go to (insert hospital name here) and check yourself in. If you don't, then I need to intervene and call 911. Going on your own will be better than having the police bring you there". She then hugged me and said she'd promise to visit me the next day. In the end it made is so much closer, the trust grew tremendously, and she was proud that I made the right decision. She now trusts me 100% too, which could be scary sometimes.
Do what you feel is best for you.

• Clinophobia
  • MDD
  • GAD
AllyIsHopeful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Onyx999

Thanks for this!
Hoppery