Grand Member

Member Since Jun 2008
410 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Attention Jan 11, 2014 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven View Post
OUCH! My feminist sensibilities have just been smacked! There's nothing wrong with being single. I'm not right now, but I love the single life, the freedom!

I don't do yard work and "handy man stuff," but I hate that we still see that as a man's role. We're women and we deserve equality. That means we've got to be able to so some stereotypical men's stuff (or hire someone to do it--and you can hire a woman to do it, if there are any in your area). I'm not saying hire a woman over a man, I just want to encourage women to find their own strengths.
I live alone on a farm in the upper Midwest. And I've got no problem doing things labeled as "a man's role". Other than using a large snow blower to keep the yard and driveway open in the winter (which my neighbor does for me), I basically do everything else myself!

I do things like mow the lawn (which takes about five hours), trim trees and bushes, tend to the flowers around the house, fix the wooden fences around the farmsite, and more. I've actually gotten to be pretty 'handy' over the last 15 years. I can build shelves (I have one in the garage that is about 7ft x 3 1/2ft), build storage bins, fix the lawn mower, do maintenance on my car (I change my own oil), and things like that. There is not too much a person can't do with a hammer, pliers, adjustable wrench, and a drill!!
jrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote