View Single Post
willowbrook

Member Since Apr 2009
107 hugs
given
Default Jan 16, 2014 at 06:52 PM

Does anyone else's Pdoc/T do this. I've actually found the approach really useful, especially because I tend to catastrophise things or beat up on myself a lot when I'm not doing so well with certain issues.

For example if I'm going through a bit of a rough patch with my recovery from Anorexia, or I'm finding myself in the midst of a relapse, he's encouraged me to open an internal dialogue with my eating disorder and show kindness and gratitude towards it - like saying/thinking something along the lines of *to the eating disorder* "I'd like to thank you for being there when I needed you, and I didn't know any other way to cope. I know you were just trying to help, but now I've learnt/am learning new and better ways of dealing with things, so I don't need you anymore and that's a good thing." Sort of like even though certain behaviours or thought processes might be negative they can still be acknowledged as positives in a way, because it was still a part of you that was trying to help or be protective it's just that that part of you didn't know how to go about it in a healthy way at that time.

I am so not explaining this properly. Does anyone else know what I mean? Does anyone else have a Pdoc/T who uses this approach?

Complex-PTSD, MDD with Psychotic Fx, Residual (Borderline) PD Aspects, ADD, GAD with Panic Disorder, Anorexia Nervosa currently in partial remission.

Treatment:

Psychotherapy
Mindfulness

willowbrook is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Aloneandafraid, brillskep

Thanks for this!
Aloneandafraid, brillskep, Freewilled