View Single Post

Default Feb 18, 2007 at 08:39 PM

I AM REPOSTING THIS OFF THE MENS FORUM SINCE IT WAS REMOVED FROM THERE> THIS IS MEANT TO BE PRIOR TO THE ABOVE POST> IT WILL HELP CLARIFY THE MEANING (I HOPE)

> I would think the name -- Men's focused support -- is pretty self-evident.

You might have thought it. I have asked about five times now what the criteria is, however, which I would have thought fairly clearly conveys that no, it is not self-evident to me.

> Do I really have to dig down into specifics when we create a forum like this and say, "Sorry, you need to have these chromosomes and these components and this identity in order to post here"??

Well, I have asked about five times...

So (in the interests of clarity):

In order to post here you need to meet the following criteria (where each component is necessary and together they are all jointly sufficient):

1) Male chromosomes (so no people can post to the male or female forums if they have non-typical chromosomes)
2) Male sex organs (so no people can post to the male board if their doctor made a whoopsie while they were being circumscised, for example. In fact even if these people were raised female, they wouldn't be able to post to the girls board because they would not meet condition 1)
3) Male gender identity (though I'm guessing sexual preference doesn't matter)?

I guess (once again) I'm concerned about all these people being excluded given that this is a forum for people with mental disorders and gender identity is currently listed in the DSM...

I really don't see how the above can be assessed. Sure my name is alexandra_k but what makes you think I don't meet the above criteria? Without breaking my confidentiality you cannot assess that. In fact... I don't know what my chromosomes are, truth be told.

It is okay. I won't post to this board again.

There is this little thing called 'the ideal of androgyny'. It kind of precludes it. To me people are people are people are people, you see...

I saw that someone signed up before with gender identity disorder wondering if this place (the boards as a whole) were for them. Haven't seen them post since... But it might well be the case that this forum isn't suitable given the attitudes that seem to be fostered here...