reesecups
Grand Member

Member Since Mar 2013
52 hugs
given
Default Jan 29, 2014 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
However, courts cannot collect, they have no police department (it's civil rather than criminal). My husband's company was so relieved it won the case to get the $1,000,000 that some other company/person owed them but the other person never paid. It is kind of like education debts these days; they can make your life uncomfortable but can't really "do" anything; we don't throw debtors into prison anymore, just have to send our own "Rocko and Smitty" over to rough them up and that's against the law.

Might be able to repossess big ticket items if they are theirs/bought on the credit card or whatever (even that requires stealth and danger) but who is going to come try to take the shirt off your back anymore? Not like they can take back food you charged on your credit card and ate. Worse case scenario is the credit card people cancel that credit card and ruin your credit. Hospital bills go unpaid all the time because people don't have insurance, that's part of why the new requirement to have insurance.
Agreed for the most part. But the extent of what they can do is dependent also on the state you live in. If I recall, TX and, I believe Florida were states we didn't sue in because there were laws preventing them putting leins on homes and such. But again, it depends on state law for that.
reesecups is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote