ScrewedUpMe

Member Since Dec 2012
71 hugs
given
Default Feb 06, 2014 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdtransformation View Post
Screwedup,
Did not know that some jobs will discriminate based on BPD. That is terrible... they should not be allowed to do that. It would be tempting to do the same thing as you are doing, to ask the psychiatrist not to use that label. Do you mind if I ask, is this in the United States? I thought it was illegal here for companies to ask for your medical records. Given that the BPD diagnosis is itself unreliable and really invalid as a medical disorder (i.e. different therapists often diagnose the same patient differently), it doesn't even make sense to restrict someone from work based on such diagnosis.

I'm not advocating this, but it may be possible for you to use another, less stigmatized diagnosis (like "depression") to get another form of useful treatment, and then retain the ability to do teaching sooner, if what you fear is right. I will admit I did this in my later years of therapy. I stopped being diagnosed as borderline (which I actually was not, in terms of the 9 symptoms, by that point) and instead asked my therapist to use another diagnostic term which she did.... "dysthymic disorder".... whatever that means It was funny because I was feeling well most of the time but I was officially labeled with this disorder that means you are really depressed.
This is the UK. I was really surprised too actually when I heard about not being able to teach with the diagnosis. Apparently it's something to do with the fact that you are working with kids. I don't know that I want to be a teacher but I either want to work with children or perhaps some form of social work and it sounds like both may be off limits. Even the facilitators running the group programme where I found this out did not seem to disagree that this could be the case. I always thought it would be up to me what I chose to disclose. I don't really know where to find out the answer to this. I will keep looking into it, but your idea of changing the diagnosis sounds good. I haven't yet spoken to my psychiatrist about this but she may be able to tell me how things work and maybe change how it looks on paper, I don't know...But thanks for the suggestion I also wonder what they consider 'being stable' for 2 years. If it entails being discharged from mental health services, then there's no way of covering that one up
It's all just the last thing I expected just as I thought I might finally be getting better...
ScrewedUpMe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote