shezbut
Legendary

Member Since Feb 2009
15.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 08, 2014 at 02:05 AM

Hello smartyjoe,

Why is the fact that you feel no guilt or shame such a bother to you now? Do any particular reasons pop into your mind? Is it because you're reading other people's experiences with abuse? Or, has this feeling been disturbing you before you began looking online?

I would imagine that many people who have come to terms of acceptance may not even be coming to PC, or other support sites. I'm sure that PC is not study accurate for how everyone feels after abuse, as not all areas are being represented.

Is it possible that the guilt that you're feeling is more linked to experiencing some physical pleasure with the abuse? While your T assured you that this is a common occurrence (which often causes the abused to Q and blame themselves), that assurance often doesn't help us feel any better with ourselves. Certainly not in my case. I am struggling to surpass these deep, dark feelings that I have inside, despite the logic that I've learned over the years. It isn't easy at all!

That's my perspective. Btw, welcome to Psych Central!

"Forgive others not because they deserve forgiveness but because you deserve peace."
- Author Unkown
shezbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
smartyjoe