View Single Post
GlassCageOfEmotion

Member Since Jan 2014
22 hugs
given
Book Feb 17, 2014 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynful View Post
I love that you have done this for yourself!

When I start to feel overwhelmed, I have to break life down into steps. I make check lists of errands or chores (I hate cleaning with a passion). Even small accomplishments help... like taking a shower, eating enough to take my vitamins without getting sick, getting one load of laundry done, etc. Mostly, I like crossing things off my list lol. I might not even make it out of my house, but I did SOMETHING.

I have a tendancy to get stuck in my head. I have been know to sit down and read for hours and hours. It's only until I go to try turn my head that I realize my neck has gotten locked, and all the sudden it's afternoon!

You mentioned writing fiction. Do you mind if I ask, how you got started? I have been thinking that it would help having an expressive facet. Short stories? Blogging? I was hoping for a suggestion to break the ice.
Great ideas, paynful. I love marking those to-do lists off, too! It's just so maddening to not be able to do it on those days I fall short, but I think it does work. Maybe just 3 main goal for the day is more digestible for me to handle. It's a process learning how to manage life and emotions, but is worth the time and effort to do so. The key for me is to stay focused.

Sure, I'd love to give you an idea of how to get started writing. Everyone has their own writing journey, but for me it started when I was around 10, with musical lyrics. I wrote lyrics, then poetry (great for angsty teens or when it's hard to think in full sentences to work out emotions), then I progressed to writing in a diary into my teens and young adulthood. Truthfully, I've never been an avid reader until a few years ago when I became a stay at home Mom. Really, to be a great writer you have to READ A LOT and WRITE A LOT. It doesn't really matter how you go about it. The main thing is to cultivate it. If you don't want to write that day, write anyway. A sentence. A paragraph. Whatever. But don't give up. Write every day - something.

Eventually your mind and heart will lead you to where you want to go with it....poetry, lyrics, articles for a blog, or fiction. The best stuff is from the heart. Readers connect with that, fiction or non-fiction.

I started my own blog a year ago and have been writing articles, having guest authors and giveaways, and doing reviews. I have fun with it, but it is A LOT of work to build a blog. Some people just post up things and don't promote it. If you don't want any readers or to interact with people who could give you feedback, I guess that is fine...but really a blogger must be on Twitter and Facebook daily and promote their posts as well as interact with others and respond to comments on their blog. If you're going to write a book you'll need a blog and social media presence as an Author. It's connected with sales and exposure.

It really depends on your purpose. I would say start writing for yourself in your own time daily, at first. Then if you connect with it, research fiction writing on Google...there are SO many resources out there. But before you get into that beast, think of your real life and the people in it and your experiences as characters in a book and a story - then write what's in your heart.

Sorry this is so long Lol - I'm passionate about writing I really do hope you are able to find a way to cultivate this habit for yourself. It is SO helpful! Good luck!

Hugs from:
paynful

Thanks for this!
paynful