tametc
Grand Member

Member Since Oct 2012
1,761 hugs
given
Default Feb 17, 2014 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieVale View Post
In this this next statement Im trying to work out if this is that what i did? What exactly is "dissociating"?

"After any sexual contact, I usually felt spaced out and “floaty.” At the time, I simply thought I was “blissed out” on our lovemaking. It never occurred to me I might be dissociating. My out-of-body state masked any feelings of pain, discomfort, or distress so that everything looked perfectly rosy.
I could try to give you lots of info on dissociation, but I think you might find it best to google "dissociation". There are many different aspects, and not all apply to every person. It can range from mild daydreaming, to feeling disconnected from your body, things around you feeling unreal, and many other symptoms. If you read up on it, I'm sure you'll start to understand it more, and may be able to relate to some of it.

Keep posting. We're here for you.

P.S. Have you thought about telling your current therapist that you need more help from him in dealing with your emotions about this? If you aren't easily able to switch therapists, it might be productive to let this one know what you need more of.

Thanks for this!
LizzieVale