Elder

Member Since Sep 2013
2,136 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 17, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tametc View Post
When you have a great therapist, it's a wonderful gift to have that long-term relationship. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!) I started posting here in November last year because my therapist of 13 years became seriously ill and unable to continue his practice. When I saw him for a brief closure session along with my current T, the first thing I said to him was, "You're fired. I knew you would never quit on me, so I figured I had to fire you." We had that kind of affectionate teasing as part of our relationship. I miss him very much, but I am starting to feel less raw from the grief.

I just counted the number of therapists I've had, and it totals 11. Some were very short-term, because they weren't the right fit. I also took a few breaks over the years, although not for long, because my PTSD and depression became too overwhelming rather quickly.
But you have to be sort of lucky to have the Therapist at the same practice for that long of a time, I stop seeing a Therapist after 4 years because of a change in my insurance but as I found out later I would have had to end things with her a few months later anyways because she left the practice.

Hugs from:
tametc