View Single Post
missbella
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2010
814 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 19, 2014 at 01:23 PM

Lizzie, my exploitation was emotional rather than sexual, yet it was a gradual process to understand it.

I'm so happy you were able to share this with your husband and receive his understanding and support.

My biggest step was to demote my therapists (they were a team) as authority figures and see them as merely people with their own selfish needs, who graduated school and hung out a shingle claiming the power to help people in distress. Over time they began to believe their own publicity and believed anything they did, or invented, or the mere association with them was magical and healing. In other words, they were highly deluded people wore the cloak of professionals and healers. Understanding them essentially was like pulling back the curtain on the Wizard of Oz.

I also found conversations with TELL responders my best resource. some therapists can be uncomfortable with the abuse issue themselves. In addition to reading about abuse in therapy, I also read about cults and mind control, other instances were one person exerts harmful influence over another. In the case of sexual abuse, resources for those abused by clergy and other authority figures might also be relevant.

A blogger named Kristi also offers extensive resources.
Surviving Therapist Abuse - About

Another website, Lynette's Law, offers resources and lobbies to make sexual exploitation by therapist a crime in more states:
Lynette's Law for Maryland

I also had an extremely positive experience email TELL and corresponding with them. . They've been in operation for decades and their founder was herself victim to abuse. Wishing you peace and ease in getting through this.

Here are the links I have from TELL that seem to work. I think they will get you to books, stories and more scholarly papers. Others report the conflicts you talk about.
TELL: Therapy Exploitation Link Line
Stories
More scholarly papers:
More book lists:
Lynette's Law reading list:
» Books Lynette's Law for Maryland
Kristi's reading list:
Books & Media for Therapist Abuse, Clergy Abuse, Professional Misconduct
missbella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from: