View Single Post
Anonymous817219

Default Feb 20, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I was also in a bad enough place to not care. Like your parents I was resistant to them. I have been on and off over the years. In hindsight I wish the nutrition, exercise, alternative treatment research was more available to me when I was younger and more resilient. Not that I am that old but it would have been easier. Many if not most people agree the current prescription choices are atrocious and necessary at the same time. I completely understand your parents concern.

The thing is starting meds at 18 could end up as a life time of meds and that is such a long time. There are lots of alternative research going on, the results of which will be available to you.

I can't tell you what to do and I wouldn't try to persuade you but I think it is fair to ask for experiences. My t and I have half joked about the term "med evaluation". I don't think anybody actually goes to one and is advised >not< to take a pill so it is a rather loaded term. I am not trying to turn you off to but perhaps you can find a doctor that specializes in both meds and alternatives. There are more and more such doctors. My own t has started maintaining a list of doctors that she feels comfortable recommending. Many of her clients are "like minded". When you call an office one thing to ask is if they practice "patient centric" care. An enthusiastic answer is a good sign.

In some places family members and t are actually participating in the evaluation. If you are comfortable with this I recommend it, especially if you are living with your parents. They can offer insight to the doctor you cannot always see first person and that really, really helps get it right early on. If s/he were to recommend meds it might give your parents some comfort to know all options are being considered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous100108

Thanks for this!
paynful