View Single Post
Anonymous817219

Default Feb 20, 2014 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiesmom View Post
Your parents don't agree with meds that "alter your brain".....but your brain has already been altered and needs to be fixed and functioning correctly....hence the meds.

I thought I could snap out of it, or outgrow it, but it's been about eight years for me. Without meds, I would be dead.

Personally, I tried therapy and found it to be no benefit.

If you go to a med consultation, they will probably put you on one that has the most success first. Depending on your reaction the dosage will change or you will be switched to a different one. If the side effects are bad, you will know pretty quickly, and can tell them, but remember, you will have to be on most meds for a couple of weeks at least to see any benefits.

I would research a few that seem to do the trick for most people and go in with whatever questions you have. Rxlist has user reviews, too.

Good luck and fingers crossed for you.

Please don't take this too personally but I am a stickler for perpetuating myths. When you mention "altered brain"... If you are talking about chemical imbalances that has been debunked by scientist going way back pre Prozac release. The first two studies were flawed and at least two studies tried to replicate. Couldn't because the first two were fundamentally flawed. What they did was find chemical imbalances in people that had already taken antidepressants. The people that hadn't had no imbalance with or without depression. Since then the rumor has stuck.

If you are talking about neurological differences then yes there probably is a connection. However this research is in infancy. There seems to be a connection with neuroplasticity. That is something you can actually change on your own. (Through work.) They really do not understand why antidepressants really work. And they don't work for everyone.

All psychotrophic drugs effect symptoms. None of the "fix" or "cure" anything. I mentioned earlier that meds are atrocious and necessary at the same time. Treating symptoms quickly can be necessary to get somebody going but none of should be thought of as a cure. Since you can become dependent and the meds actually cause chemical imbalances among other things I still have a lot of trouble with an 18 year old thinking they need to enter a lifetime of meds. In contrast there are ways to determine if nutrition is the culprit. An fairly easy example to diagnose is candidiasis. Most "med consultants" will not look for this. That's why I recommend somebody holistic in the area of both meds and alternatives. IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
venusss