Grand Poohbah

Member Since Apr 2010
437 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 18, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearning0723 View Post
Part of me feels the desire to tell her upfront all the challenging things about working with me...ex. testing people, not trusting easily, putting on a front...this is me trying to sabotage myself, isn't it? She'll find all that out in due time. And I guess when I see her on Friday I will ask her some important questions, ex. out of session contact, whether she takes notes and whether I can read them, boundaries, termination procedure, etc.
IDK, it's tricky to figure out how fast to disclose things even if they are things you're pretty aware of i think. I remember hearing that if you're too open too fast with a new therapist they'll consider that to be a problem, even though being open is generally the idea of therapy. Not that that helps any as far as figuring out what's "too fast". Starting by asking her some questions sounds like a good idea to me. Then maybe there's still time for another topic?

Hmm, you've given me the idea to ask a new therapist (if I have another one some day) how to deal with this. I remember it was difficult at one point when I felt I had made some progress with an earlier therapist but it was a little hard to pick up in the same place with a new therapist. They didn't understand or accept my explanations or really approach or perceive the issues like I had in mind.
learning1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote