View Single Post

Default Mar 07, 2007 at 09:53 PM

I agree with you. I don't think that this is likely to happen, however.

Just like how it is next to impossible to run undergraduate classes in evolution by natural selection at the university of Utah it would be next to impossible to run sex ed classes in schools. Lots of people think that it is the parents job to talk to their kids about sex. Of course that typically isn't done adequately, but I think the concern is that there isn't a value neutral way of educating kids about sex.

I think there is a value neutral way of educating kids about sex. It involves presenting some of the facts (including some of the controversial facts). I've heard that condoms are a controversial issue in some parts. Some people teach kids that condoms don't prevent STD's because condoms are porous. Or they teach the failure rates of condoms without distinguishing between the people who use the condoms properly (according to the directions) and those who don't use the condoms properly. So even teaching kids about condoms and the utility of them is controversial. And as for parents who believe birth control is immoral they typically don't want their kids to be educated about birth control.

Sigh.

It is a shame really. Lack of education about birth control and the like typically results in increased rates of STD's and unwanted pregnancy. I've heard that some kids don't know that oral and %#@&#! sex counts as sex and hence they don't know that they can get STD's by way of those activities.

It is a shame.

But I don't really forsee the situation changing anytime soon...
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote