View Single Post
tryinghard973

Member Since Mar 2014
63 hugs
given
Smile Apr 06, 2014 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbipolar View Post
I have a bad history of backing out of these type of things at the last minute. On the rare occasion that I do make myself go, I usually have a good time once I'm there. I do roll play how I think the event will go and know how to get to all exits should it become too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvert View Post
Tx, I also often back out of these kinds of events --- and one of the first things I think of when making plans is what my excuse will be to leave early.

I'm cracking up at myself for not thinking of obvious conversation starters like 'what are you planting?' Thank you, Kaliope.

Trying, yes, I think baby steps are important. I am not sure what my issue is exactly, if I am shy or what. It's not shy exactly -- it only happens in certain situations? I hope it gets easier for both of us!

Just an update on what did happen and observations I made:

I went to the event. I almost immediately ran into someone who recognized me from the class. We hadn't talked before, but we sat together during the dinner. I was happy that we found each other because we were both on a similar page in the sense of feeling like we were the only people who didn't know anyone at this event

I also talked with some other people at our dining table. It was a lot less low-stress than it had been in my mind. I did feel like I kept putting my foot in my mouth. I wish I knew whether I really was or if it's just in my head.

I did notice that as soon as the main speaking event was over, my first instinct was to get out of there ASAP -- even though I had meant to approach a few of the speakers with questions. I didn't remember that until I was at my car, whoops!

I also realized that this is what I do during my class, as well. As soon as the class is over, I want to go to my car and get out of there. I should probably hang around and chit chat if I want to meet people.

One woman had a great way of connecting with other people that I am going to steal for next time. She brought business cards and wrote 'Please email me your recipe' and stuck them underneath a bunch of potluck dishes.
Wow we have similar symptoms, please add me as a friend and check out my threads. Thanjs

My Bi Polar Thread (Videos,Pics)
http://forums.psychcentral.com/bipol...ted-daily.html

Medications
Xanax-Working so far
tryinghard973 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote