View Single Post
MarkNoo11

Member Since Mar 2014
Default Apr 14, 2014 at 05:33 PM

AA has big meetings where the rules are enforced and it has smaller meetings which are more intimate. The only meeting I experienced was big, and I didn't like it.
So AA wasn't for me (based only on 1 experience) but, I have 2 uncles who swear that AA saved them. How does a person argue with success.

I think the important thing to do is to go to different meetings. Look for one that you find agreeable and participate. Participation, I believe, is key.

Attending 1 meeting is not a sufficient sample for me (probably for anyone) to say that it is no good.
One uncle is a doctor, the other was a lawyer. These are smart guys and they really believed it helped them.

I think the rigid rules of AA made it hard for them to intellectually wiggle their way out of quitting. Again, it is only speculation.

Here is a couple of online meetings from reputable recovery sources.
The e-AA Group ? Index page for AA
Self Help Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ
for SMART recovery.
There are more but these organizations are pretty well known and not on the fringe of mainstream recovery thinking.

I was a natural remission case but I think participation is more important than everything else. Just do it. If you don't like one meeting go to another.
Call the help line. If you tell them about your personality they may be able to steer you towards a group suited to you.
Go to the AA board and ask people if they can help you find the right group for you in your hometown. someone from your city will most likely be on the board. Ask them?
MarkNoo11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote