trying2survive
Poohbah

Member Since Mar 2014
282 hugs
given
Default Apr 17, 2014 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePressMe View Post
Well, I was wondering if people were going to post to this thread. I did not because of the same thread still going on that was right below it. So, I don't think there is a need for me to come up with an original post for this thread--below is my post from the other thread. I want people to know there are ways other than AA and AA can be a dangerous environment.

I was only 15 when I first became involved in AA and I was around the tables off and on for many, many years. The groups in my town were horrible and the members caused me a lot of pain and suffering...it changed the course of my life for the worse. Some people benefit from AA and that's fine for them. Personally, I wish I would have never reached out for help from AA because in the long run it created even more problems for me that I had to eventually overcome to get sober.

I've been sober over 9 years now...I think its 9, I've lost track. That's the nice thing about how my "recovery" works for me now--I don't have to work at it all the time. Being sober is how I am now. It feels natural to be sober so I don't even think about keeping track anymore. In the beginning, especially that horrendous 1st year, it was something I had to work hard on and it was constantly on my mind 24/7. At first, I had to learn how live sober, then I practiced at it and eventually, as the years passed, it just became a way of life.

For the most part, I consider myself to be free from the chains of addiction. I'm no longer controlled by my addictive impulses or tormented by the thoughts of an alcoholic mind. I've fully realized and accepted the consequences caused by my past alcoholic behavior and no longer feel guilty about it. It took a long time for me to get over the regret I felt for all the lost opportunities and for wasting so many years of my life.

Am I still an alcoholic? Well, in some sense, yes, because I know that I would revert to alcoholic behavior and thinking if I decided to drink again. But, in some ways, no because I don't think or act like an alcoholic anymore. Maybe, I'm more like a "alcoholic-potential." The good thing is that today I have the choice to drink or not....and, I no longer want or need to drink. My life is not perfect but its sooo much better...
glad you got better , congratulations!!

I have learned that i and i alone am responsible for my happiness, most people these days are as reliable as wet toilet paper!
trying2survive is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote