trying2survive
Poohbah

Member Since Mar 2014
282 hugs
given
Default Apr 30, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra5ed View Post
I had a mixed experience. On the positive side I really needed AA at the time, I needed a support group and a lot of reminders not to use. I met some interesting people in AA and learned a lot about myself. My life improved.

On the negative side I feel like it intensified my compulsive nature. Almost everyone chain smokes and drinks coffee all day in AA, I became a caffeine and nicotine addict (mind you, smoking kills like booze.) I chanted everyday about how powerless I was, and that yes certainly, if I ever used again I'd spiral out of control until death. Also, there were great excuses to keep smoking cigarettes and binging on caffine, anything God forbid, but drink the poison that will surely kill me if I ever drink again. And, I was hooked on meetings and social support.

In the end I stopped going to meetings, but I still don't drink (they have been telling me for years now I'll drink any day.) What I ended up discovering is all my "friends" and social support for the most part liked me miserable, they liked me powerless and suffering. Seeing me out of AA, not drinking, not accepting that I am fundamentally damaged was too much for them.
it can be like that, when i went i too met some interesting people. a lot of them had some pretty interesting stories, for me the religious overtones were
a bit much for me, i'm not much of a coffee person, but i found when i was working out every day it was easier to stay away from drinking

I have learned that i and i alone am responsible for my happiness, most people these days are as reliable as wet toilet paper!
trying2survive is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote