View Single Post
SnakeCharmer
Grand Member

Member Since May 2014
826 hugs
given
Default Jun 08, 2014 at 09:37 AM

The insurance maze is so confusing right now that these mistakes get made and they are not in any way personal. Still, it's a huge blow to be faced with losing your therapist after two years. One would very naturally hope for something more personal than an email.

Seeing there's not anything much you can do to change this situation, the most important thing you can do is start searching for a new therapist. If I was in this situation, I'd call my therapist's office and civilly ask them if they could provide me with a list of three or four other therapists who handle my particular kind of problem. This could save you a lot of time.

If they won't do that, well, maybe you're better off with a new therapist even if you have to struggle to find the right one. But even if they do help you, it's okay to start with a new therapist. Sometimes we just want to stay in our comfort zone with someone we feel safe with and when that happens we can stop making progress. Moving on to a new therapist would shake me up and make me feel uncomfortable for a while, but maybe it would trigger progress.

A few years ago, my doc suddenly decided to retire. Suddenly. No referrals. I received a form letter in the mail. It felt devastating. I did, fortunately, get to go in for an informal chat and we all ended up with hugs and a little teary eyed. The doc and his receptionist felt pretty bad about the whole thing, too.

It took three months to find someone new and that turned out a lot better than I thought it would. A completely new approach helped me. Explaining myself again made me really take a look at myself in a new way. While the new doc and I figured each other out, we had conflict for about a month, didn't feel comfortable at all. But, now, it's a relationship with a lot of trust. That taught me that getting kicked out into the cold world can be a good thing.

I sometimes see the retired doc and his receptionist around town and we have friendly conversations. They look so much better, ten years younger. It made me realize how stressed they'd been about things. The receptionist told me ALL the stress had come from dealing with insurance companies and the problem of some patients' insurance not covering that particular practice. Makes me not want to feel anger at any practice or person that makes mistakes with insurance coverage.

Hang in there. Hope you find a good therapist quickly.
SnakeCharmer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
InRealLife45, Travelinglady