View Single Post
Anonymous100110

Default Jun 23, 2014 at 09:50 PM

I have had ECT treatments twice and they were helpful, but you MUST understand. ECT is a treatment with temporary effects; it is NOT a cure.

Memory loss is pretty standard though the extent of that loss varies a great deal. I was fortunate. What memory loss I had was isolated to the period of time just before I started treatments through the treatments. I didn't lose all memory; it was just certain short term things. Not particularly bothersome. Once treatments were finished, memory recovered quite quickly. I had no lasting side effects. That said, it didn't prevent me from having future problems with depression. I chose ECT because I was extremely ill, in the hospital, and facing long-term hospitalization. I would NOT choose ECT under any less circumstances. It really is a treatment of last resort. It helped me recover, get home, and resume my life, BUT I still needed medications, therapy, etc. IT IS NOT A CURE.

On the other end of the spectrum from me are people who have severe memory loss problems, both long and short term. Others say they have had cognitive loss due to ECT. I completely believe that is as equal a possibility as my positive outcome.

No one knows how any one person will respond to ECT or what lasting effect might occur. You must realize going into ECT that there are definite risks. Are you willing to live with those or not?

I was fortunate and ECT did what I needed it to do at the time. I would have it again, but only if I was in the severe condition I was in before, and fortunately that has not happened again.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Bigmike727