View Single Post
grimtopaz

Member Since Jan 2014
10 hugs
given
Default Jul 11, 2014 at 06:50 PM

I am so sorry that you find yourself in this position. There are few things harder than acknowledging that the person you are closest to does not have your best interest in mind. Being completely alone is truly terrifying.

Onto practical advice:

Your concerns seem to narrow down to the following (sorry for being so reductionist):
1) She does not have the training to provide you the service you are looking for; CBT - the ethical thing for her to do would be to refer you to a CBT provider, 2) She is doing something NO therapist should ever do, encourage you to isolate from others so she can be the only support in your life, 3) Making you feel somewhat "unsafe" in the relationship, and not having your best interest in hand.

Of course you feel close to her and feel invested in the relationship. Starting therapy with a new therapist is a lot of emotional work. But it is worth the investment. It can also be difficult to find a "good fit". However, it seems like you are simply not getting what you need/what you are paying for. She might be doing more harm than good.

I know you know this, but it's important to keep in mind that patients pay a therapist for a service. The relationship should be 100% about YOUR needs (as long as the therapist's boundaries are respected, of course). She is not providing the service you need/want. Please don't feel like you "owe" her anything. That's why we pay, so we don't feel like we "owe".

If you can afford it, a good idea would be to start looking for other therapists while you continue to see her. It might feel a bit like "cheating", but having a therapist "lined up" will give you some peace of mind and help you make that leap without feeling alone. Moreover, a neutral party can give you more objective feedback on your current situation.

If you are interested in a CBT therapist, there are national groups like ABCT (association for behavioral and cognitive therapists) that have directories that list trained CBT therapists. You can also ask the prospective therapists about their training with CBT, whether they have treated folks with your problems, and how they can help you achieve your goals. As always, trust your gut.

If money is an issue, you could try reducing the number of session you have with her. It can give you an opportunity to see how she reacts.

I wish you best of luck with whatever you decide!

PS: I am making the assumption that you are a heterosexual male. I am wondering if you would feel safer/more comfortable with a straight male therapist?
grimtopaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
NowhereUSA