Thread: Education
View Single Post
moon66

Member Since Dec 2013
Default Jul 18, 2014 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
Part of the degree is the "extra", sometimes boring classes that are not the specific major classes but everything helps with what we learn. If you have had a lot of prep beforehand, there are often some courses you can test out of so you get credit for them without having to take them. They look at your tests, past preparation, all that is required for the degree, etc. and then tell you what you need. Sometimes their rules are strange/unpleasant. I had a 4 year degree in sociology and wanted to get a 2 year degree in business so I would have background to take the professional accounting exam and they required a "science" course (even though I had had two to get my 4 year degree but they said they were too long ago) and they had something titled something like, "the science of sociology" I could take. So I pointed out, "excuse me, but I have a 4 year degree in sociology. . ." but they were not amused/swayed.

The way I get my mind to deal with that stuff is to just accept, "Okay, I have to take this course, what can I get out of it for myself?" and I make it my own. Even if I am using it just for the challenge of getting myself to work on something necessary that I do not like, practicing my concentration and discipline (like scales in music) to improve how I do when I get to the "good" stuff, often I find something in the course that will interest me. I did realize as I got older that just about everything is connected to everything else and looking for that connection and how I can use it to better understand my chosen subject helps me too. When I was getting my 2nd major degree, I treated courses not in my major as if they were. All my English papers were about history subjects, LOL. My second degree was done online instead of in the classroom so everything was done/graded by writing papers. All my papers were on history subjects. Math class? Paper on some aspect of the history of math :-)

Thanks a bunch!
moon66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote