Perna
Pandita-in-training

Member Since Sep 2006
550 hugs
given
Default Aug 27, 2014 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
And "leap and the net will appear" as they say in acting. I love that one, i admit.
I was just looking up my favorite for quoting on another site, the Grateful Dead drummer, Mickey Hart's, "Adventures don't begin until you get into the forest."

For me, the frame was containment. My T once asked me to free associate and then we stopped me when we realized we were both lost after less than 30 seconds/2 sentences That both my T and I showed up every week for 9 years, that she did not allow idle chat (I never knew the weather when I was seeing her except in winter when I'd stay awake praying that it wouldn't snow badly enough to cancel therapy the next day), I had to talk to her, she did not take to reading and she wouldn't tell me stories (I still can't believe I asked her to and then took it personally that she wouldn't when she was just being literal that she didn't know any/know how to tell stories) and she ignored body language because she had enough trying to understand what we were talking about, etc. all that added up and gradually made me feel safe enough to sit down and do the work with her in that space in the way she recommended -- therapist as frame.

I was interested when told about the two types of frames, the containment type like a fence or boundaries, etc. and the interior type like one's spine, allowing one to move about, a veritable Baba Yaga house.