Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,369 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 05, 2014 at 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinco14532323 View Post
I have applied once and was denied right away of course. They deny everyone right away. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They deny like 90% of people on an initial application. You have to appeal.
I did some research on the percentage of people who get denied on their first application. The percentage I found was 70%. (Does Social Security Disability Deny Everyone the First Time They Apply? | Disability Secrets)

Some of those denied are very appropriate for SSDI, but get denied because they failed to explain their case in a convincing way. Some applicants truly don't meet the criteria. Then some just are the victims of a bad and unfair decision. I've met a few people who had that happen, and it can be very sad . . . even tragic. One individual I met ended up homeless, despite having a crippling disease. I thought it was a disgrace, and I hope he got the legal help that I advised him to seek out.

Shortandcute: It is really disturbing when a deserving person gets denied, even when being represented by a competent attorney. I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope you have not exhausted all your options to appeal. If so, that must feel absolutely awful.

I do know that my positive experience with the SSA is not typical; it's far from the norm. Even my doctor was surprised that I got approved on first try. Believed me, I feel very blessed to have been so fortunate. (I did a great deal of research during the process, which helped me know what I was up against AND what best to do to maximize my chance of getting approved.)
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
shortandcute

Thanks for this!
shortandcute