View Single Post
rhode island red

Member Since May 2011
Default Sep 07, 2014 at 09:12 AM

Not really sure exactly where this should go but I have been thinking about asking my employer for accommodations to my diagnosis of Major Depression. (which in my case has gotten worse as I've gotten older).

The following is what I propose to my employer and I appreciate any and all comments from readers.

""I am seeking some accommodations due to my diagnosis of Major Depression (which I am willing to provide documentation stating this). First and foremost, I always have the company’s best interest in mind. I am a loyal employee and I have never taken my position here lightly or for granted. Hence the delay and hesitation in approaching this matter. I appreciate the flexibility granted to me thus far.

I am asking for an additional sick leave accommodation to be made on a more permanent basis. I know our policy limits sick time and I would never take advantage of it. I wouldn't abuse it - it would be a very respected privilege. However, with my diagnosis, there have been days where I have come to work, when I should have stayed home, to work through my illness. I have come to work depressed and suicidal and most unproductive (which just compounds anxiety and depression). Coming to work is something I look forward to because I know I am healthy on those days. I would rather take the day to stay home to level off and be more productive the following day. I do not want to put my co-workers into a position of constantly having to cover for me, therefore, I would only take time off what is needed. I also enjoy coming to work because of a paycheck. I would not expect to be paid for any additional sick time. Therefore, taking additional limited time off would be crucial to me as well. Paying me to come to work when I don’t feel well is unproductive. I would ask that vacation time be exempt from this request because I need those days to look forward to. Having occasions to look forward to is very beneficial for my mental health.

I know I have many appointments and I do my best to schedule them at times of day that will be least disruptive to my co-workers. It is not always possible to schedule them after work and I am unclear if I should make them all on one day or spread them out. I do not expect to be paid while at these appointments. Just the time to go to them.

If I need a mental health day, it’s because I can’t get out of bed. I love going to work. It helps me know I’m not so depressed. I would go to work on those dark days if I could but sometimes I just can’t. It's more than just thinking positively and crawling out of bed even though you don't feel like it. I actually enjoy going to work because then I know I'm healthier. But those days when I'm really feeling sick, work is just something I can't function very well at.

I am asking for not to be penalized for taking additional sick days when I truly need it. In return, I will give more than my all. I am willing to make up time on weekends when needed, I am even willing to take on additional responsibilities which aren’t quite as time consuming as fusion equipment rentals is. I have already asked to be more involved with Freight Claims and am willing to help with specific projects for any department, which will benefit the company as a whole.

If approved, I would at least have the calmness of knowing it’s there if I need it. Which I might not need. Not having this accommodation approved means greater anxiety for me and less productivity.""

I know I have some rights under ADA but I'm not totally clear on what they are. So if anyone out there can help me with that, I would be very appreciative.
Thank you for reading.
rhode island red is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote