View Single Post
snickie

Member Since May 2014
1 hugs
given
Default Sep 15, 2014 at 08:38 PM

I buy into the Food is Medicine philosophy. If you can afford it, one of the things that I think might really help is cutting out certain food groups. Not macronutrients like carbs and fats (because those cut out healthy sources of those as well as the unhealthy sources), but trying to get nutrients from other, better, healthier sources. I know a lot of people who have benefited from the paleo diet, although it's expensive and involves a lot of cooking. You could start by cutting grains (including corn) and/or dairy for a month or so and then reintroducing one of those little by little to see how it affects you.

I know it works because my family and I went paleo in August 2012, and my dad, who has MS (dx 2003, symptoms include pain, numbness, optic neuritis, fatigue, etc etc) and depression (self-dx) and was on a host of medications, was able to come off of 90% of his medications within a year. He was walking better and everything too. Summer 2013 we went to Utah for a week and he was with us on all but one excursion and was able to do most of the things my mom and friend and I were doing. And there was a definite relapse whenever we strayed from the diet, which we did after that trip, and he's back on a lot (but not all) of his medications. The only thing that was a downer for him was that the diet tends to get boring. My mom finds like one or two foods that we like and then she'll make them forever until we get sick of them.

But yeah. I'm not saying it'll definitely cure you, but eating healthier can give you a better quality of life. Hope this helps.
snickie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Calypso2632, possum220