Elder...and a bit Older
Community Liaison

Member Since Nov 2013
371 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 16, 2014 at 07:05 PM

Hey Evening.

Totally understand how dreadfully overwhelming the prospect of getting everything in order in your home can be. Throw in some depression, low self esteem and lack of support or absence of positive reinforcement...and we are 'Done For'. I know I am lucky...I mean I own my own home and everything in it...so after hiding myself away with my possessions for years (most that I couldn't find) I made the decision to 'take stock', 'clean house', get rid of the deadwood'......as I could barely breath.

My Terrace house is very old and large, and I'm not necessarily a hoarder, but I do have a lot of 'stuff'....the result of my travels and being an artist. When looking at the whole task of cleaning and sorting through everything, it was overwhelmingly depressing and seemed totally impossible. But just over a year ago I was determined to change my life, so I picked one draw in the hallway and emptied it out on the floor. Everything that was useless or of no value I put in the bin, anything that belonged somewhere else I put in a box, everything I could maybe sell at a yard sale went into another box, the rest went neatly back into the draw. This took me the entire morning.......but I had made a start and was extremely proud and motivated to do more. That evening I did another draw, then another, rolled up my hallway rug and put a price tag of $30 on it for my yard sale and took it to my garage with other saleable items. I continued with this routine when I could find the time, but had to set targets and rules otherwise I would just be going round in circles without achieving anything.

1. Don't look at the whole picture, focus on one task at a time.
2. Don't just move things from one area to another to deal with later....you will be fighting a losing battle. If you can't find a place for it...consider that maybe you don't need it.
3. Stick to one area or room at a time….even if it takes you a week or 2 to complete. This was my secret to staying motivated….don’t look too far down the road.
4. Be proud of and enjoy the clean tidy space you have created. Move favourite items from other areas such as a special lamp or framed picture. This will encourage you to get started on the next room.
5. Don’t set time restrictions……if you can’t complete it today? Don’t just do half the job, finish it tomorrow, or next week.
6. Totally get excited about cleaning products....I have favourites like 'Minty Kleen' and a can of pure bees wax that are my cleaning buddies.

There are a few other rules I have, but you need to find what works for you. As other members have mentioned above, there are many online sites that offer tips on clearing stuff out and staying motivated.

I have now completed my entire house, courtyard and crawl space in the ceiling. My last area to tackle is my sprawling studio…..halfway done now. Spring is now here, so I’m gearing up for a mammoth yard sale…I have been very brutal, and am letting a lot of needless stuff go…but I will hopefully make enough cash to replace that tired old hallway rug I rolled up on Day 1 with a genuine Persian runner….My reward for a job well done.

This massive job has taken me over a year (on and off) to complete. But so very very worth it. Not only do I now have a home that is functional, clean, and beautiful…but I can now see my way ahead to other projects I want to achieve in my life…and know I am more than capable of reaching those goals.

Good luck with your quest Evening Q.L

Hugs from:
MuseumGhost

Thanks for this!
MuseumGhost