View Single Post
vonmoxie
deus ex machina

Member Since Jul 2014
399 hugs
given
Default Sep 16, 2014 at 08:38 PM

I think a clear definition would be helpful, because there does seem to be some confusion around the term. Here's what I've found to be of note:
1. The term "treatment-resistant" specifically describes major depressive disorder that has not been relieved by full cycle use of at least two different anti-depressants. That's actually the entire definition. (Source.)

2. A person is not treatment-resistant. This is important to note, as saying "I'm treatment resistant" or "you're treatment resistant" implies a personal fault that the definition is clearly not meant to imply.

3. What seems to often be meant by some in their use of the term treatment-resistant, is the phenomena of psychological resistance in therapy, however when that becomes maladaptive over time it is actually considered to be the result of behaviors exhibited by both the subject and the therapist. (Source.) I mention this because it's interesting the degree of sole personal fault people often associate with this phenomena as well.
I had never thought about it that much to look into the definition further until I came to this forum, and heard people saying it about themselves and one another in a way that didn't make sense to me, as however consumed we may be by our condition at times: we are not our condition.

“We use our minds not to discover facts but to hide them. One of things the screen hides most effectively is the body, our own body, by which I mean, the ins and outs of it, its interiors. Like a veil thrown over the skin to secure its modesty, the screen partially removes from the mind the inner states of the body, those that constitute the flow of life as it wanders in the journey of each day.
Antonio R. Damasio, “The Feeling of What Happens: Body and Emotion in the Making of Consciousness” (p.28)

Last edited by vonmoxie; Sep 16, 2014 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: clerical

Thanks for this!
growlycat, Mundane Gryphon, TheOriginalMe, unaluna