View Single Post
Altered Moment
Elder

Member Since Feb 2014
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 18, 2014 at 07:19 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised you would want to take it on in terms of "I am" -- are you, yourself, resisting treatment? Or is it simply the condition that been resistant to a cure?
I am not saying it in a way that I am letting it define me. I don't have a problem with labels in general that may apply to me or let them define me.

Quote:
I am suggesting there's an inherent value in knowing and utilizing the meaning of already established terminology. I don't myself much want to be described with words that were only ever meant to describe my condition's resistance to a family of drugs that only has 50% efficacy anyway.
Your point is well taken. Definitions and commonly agreed upon terminology is very important and we need them in order to communicate. I still think it is dated and narrow in its definition. Not that it matters but still not sure if it applies to me. I have not responded adequately to adequate courses of at least two antidepressants, and more than that but I have responded adequately to some. Based on the exact definition from 1974 it is not a very useful term in my view.

My post was more about a rant/diatribe on the protracted nature of my depression and pouring out my frustrations with it.

I was initially struck with the first paragraph of this thread by DocJohn.

Quote:
I now understand that the trials and tribulations of people who suffer from treatment resistant depression can be a unique and debilitating journey.
Trials, tribulations, journey, unique, debilitating. I would be interested to know what the context of his thinking was on the term when he wrote that. I read more into that then the failure of two SSRI's for example, but I was reading into it.

Major Depressive Disorder
Anxiety Disorder with some paranoid delusions thrown in for fun.
Recovering Alcoholic and Addict
Possibly on low end of bi polar spectrum...trying to decide.

Male, 50

Fetzima 80mg
Lamictal 100mg
Remeron 30mg for sleep
Klonopin .5mg twice a day, cutting this back