View Single Post
exchristian
Newly Joined

Member Since Sep 2014
Default Sep 20, 2014 at 03:08 PM

I'm 23 and I feel like my parents - whether intentional or unintentional - are keeping me here as much as possible like a prisoner.

I was homeschooled for high school and I feel like that was a total bust. English and History went fine because I decided to take control of that myself. However, I feel like I still have only an 8th grade level grasp of math and science. Of course I took absolutely NO testing (SAT/ACT). Thank god I got an actual diploma though.

I was never taught how to drive. My parents refuse to teach me. They keep saying they will save up enough money for me to take driving lessons soon. They've been saying that for the past 8 years. Whereever I go, whatever I do outside the home (unless someone else drives me) is completely under their control and refuse to drive me places that they don't agree with "morally".

They have access to my bank account. Despite my pleads, it is always "inconvenient" for them to take me personally to deposit or withdraw money. They insist on taking my money themselves and withdrawing or depositing not in my presence. They usually do as I ask but I feel like they do it just to feel in control. I see this on my bank statement....which I get in the mail, which my parents give me already ripped opened and looked at before I even know of its existence. Again, all this wouldn't be a big deal if in the past they haven't withdrawn thousands of dollars of my money from my bank account and not tell me about it until after they've spent it. They make sincere efforts to pay me big but I'm sure I will never again see the bulk of it. I don't even really know how to make withdrawals or deposits because I was never taught, it was always done for me. Now that I want to take control, they don't teach me.

I work for them. The only other legit job I've had is at a place across the street which they deemed innocent enough. Problem is, they didn't think I'd fall in love with a co-worker. So now I have a boyfriend, and I try to escape to his house any chance I get. This is how I try to get another job but being homeschooled with little job experience is not getting me hired. If I suggest a job to my parents, they automatically say no. If I don't tell them and get an interview, they refuse to drive me. We don't live in a place where I can easily walk to many other places or even a bus or train.

The only bill I have is a cell phone bill, which I never have actually seen. Again, it is ripped open without my knowledge. It is paid for without my knowledge. It is then lorded over me, as an "Well, I did this for you, so this is what you can do for me." I would rather just pay the bill but I do not get that choice.

On top of all this, my mom is a raging fundamentalist Christian who calls me a ***** who is going to hell at every opportunity she gets. Nowadays I will only ask a simple question and she turns it into a screaming match and will lecture me about my soul going on a spiraling path of crisis. I feel like she knows I'm trying to pull away and she's freaking out.

I want real world advice. I'm not looking for a therapist or anything, I could do that in the future. I want to get away from them controlling my life. I feel we could have a somewhat normal relationship once I get away and establish my boundaries. This is my hope although she has already estranged her other child.

What do I do? What should I deal with first?
I almost feel like it's impossible...I have no mode of transportation unless I'm with my boyfriend, I don't know how to access my money, I have no reliable education, I have no source of income, I have no real hope of finding a job soon.......
Please. I'm begging for realistic help. Help me make an escape plan.
exchristian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
BrokenNBeautiful, kaliope, SeekerOfLife, Silent_Tears_17, Werewoman