Poohbah

Member Since May 2014
1,217 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 22, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWayOut View Post
it was likely a yearling yellow rat snake. They like to bluff and pretend to be tough, venemous species... I'm glad you had not killed it Even pygmy rattlers are not that harmful to humans. They hurt like heck, and will make you really sick, but (to the best of my very limited knowledge), they cannot kill an adult human.

I LOVE bts! I want one some day, but it will have to wait till I can get it proper housing. They are great lizards. Do you currently have any?
In our neighborhood we had red rat snakes everywhere so I know what you mean by them acting 'badass'. I never saw any yellow ones. This little guy had a rattle on the end of his tail, too. That's why I thought it was a baby.

I used to have a bts named Emmett. He was AWESOME! I used to wear a pull-over hoodie with a 'hand pouch' in the front. I would take him with me to run errands and he curled up in that pouch. One day I was at the drug store picking up Rx's and the woman behind the counter looked at me and her eyes got really big. I looked down, and Emmett's tail was poking out of one side of the pouch. I tucked it back in, only to have his head pop out the other side!

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to give him up, so I donated him to the Gee Wiz Children's Museum in Sarasota, FL. They changed his name to Steve! LOL!

He was a Western Australian bts, and I definitely plan to get another someday. If you get them when they are fairly young, they get used to being handled. Emmett's favorite spot to 'ride' was my left shoulder and if I was sitting down and he got cold, he would climb inside my shirt. The only time he didn't like being handled was when he was shedding his skin. I used to feed him kale and collard greens, bananas, and chicken baby food. I also fed him pinkies about once a month. I wouldn't recommend it if you're squeamish.

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. ~ Robin Williams

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? ~ Pink Floyd
Werewoman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
ThisWayOut