View Single Post
Anonymous50123

Default Sep 29, 2014 at 06:02 PM

I can totally relate to the cultural thing with mental illness.

I come from a multiethnic family that includes Black, Jewish and Japanese and when I talked to my dad about my issues, he got really angry with me. Like it was my fault. He is very hush-hush about it and doesn't want to me to talk to him about it at all.

My mom's side of the family is mostly Creole and when I talked to her about it, she was also hush-hush at first, then eventually learned to understand better. But it was the same conversation with her, except she believed that I was possessed by evil spirits and that I needed to do some sort of ritual or something to get the spirit to leave my body. Something like that, I don't quite remember that was a long time ago. The thing is, my mom studied psychology in college and even majored in Child Psychology, yet she was really ashamed of me having a "mental illness".

But yeah, I noticed with people in the schizophrenia group that I used to go to, the people were pretty much all white and they all told all of their family members about their schizophrenia and there was no problems at all for them. It was like their family just accepted it and didn't care so much about what other people would say.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote