View Single Post
SmileHere

Member Since Oct 2014
61 hugs
given
Default Oct 10, 2014 at 06:13 AM

I haven't worked for 8 years or so, at first partly due to choice - I wanted to concentrate on my music and novel, then got pulled into environmental activism...
And last year got diagnosed with psychosis/schizophrenia, which was quite a shock.

I also had bad experiences at my last two jobs (teaching and translating - I have a degree in languages).

I live with my parents who are retired, and of course they have worried all this time, what will happen when they are no more etc. They had some health issues this year and I started worrying too.

This year I developed neck/back problems as well, probably due to being too much behind the computer/sedentary. So any longer writing/behind the computer job for 8 hours seems out of the question. I can't even play the guitar as easily as I used to, or for longer period of time.

My psychologists and psychiatrist recommended Vocational Rehabilitation, and think that will solve all my problems, I'm not so sure about that though.
I think things like 'who will hire me?' and what kind of job would I even really truly want? And you get really a low amount of money when doing this Vocational Rehabilitation for working 6 hours a day, not much more than for just sitting at home.
It's doubtful whether the voc rehab job/s would develop into something more long-term afterwards.

I used to wish to start a NGO/biz, that doesn't seem to be so easy though, not sure if I have emotional resilience or self-discipline for it.

I could imagine doing some internet-related job from home, or working in a small friendly office, with good people. My favorite job so far was in PR, writing articles on the basis of materials in another language. Second favorite was in tourism, just working in tourist information office. (But I don't really have a sense for directions to be a guide or something like that)

Is it maybe better to not even have a preconcieved notion and just 'go with what they offer me'? (I was supposed to write down names of possible employers/people who could help with the job though.)

I don't like the idea of having a 'disabled' status, though some say it can be easier to get certain jobs in our country this way.

I have about three months before the Vocational Rehabilitation anyway, as there is a waiting list. Would like to edit my novel or record my songs, but somehow couldn't bring myself to do it (maybe it's the meds? I'm on Abilify 10mg - or just lack of self esteem and anxiety, connected with both?)

Any suggestions?
SmileHere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
simon1981