View Single Post
A Red Panda
Grand Magnate

Member Since May 2013
882 hugs
given
Default Oct 17, 2014 at 04:34 PM

Just like in every profession, there is a small percentage of people who are absolutely horrible.

The news typically only shows the most negative events they can come across - and a teacher/student sexual relationship is definitely up there for horrible events - as are murders.

It does not mean that loads of teachers are participating in such behaviours.

Placing video survellience in a room would not necessarily be beneficial for anyone. It's sorta breaching people's right to privacy - both students and teachers. If nothing else, it creates an environment of feeling like you're being watched by Big Brother... like you're in jail. It would be treating teachers like criminals and like we're all guilty (I am a teacher). Students would also feel like they're being treated as if they're guilty.

At the same time... a lot of teachers would like a camera in our rooms so that parents can't deny the behaviour of their children, and to protect ourselves both legally and physically.

Almost forgot to mention though - some parents do not give permission for photographs to be taken of their child. Although meant to be secure, there's always the chance of someone somehow getting access to the recordings and that would go against those parents wishes.

Oh, and as teachers, many of us try to help students deal with sensitive issues - which they'd be a lot less likely to confide if they feel like they're being watched (even if there were no sound recordings).

Like a lot of teachers, I suppose I'm rather mixed on my opinion of it!

"I have a problem with low self-esteem. Which is really ridiculous when you consider how amazing I am.

A Red Panda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
BobbyDavis