View Single Post
SkyWhite

Member Since Apr 2014
329 hugs
given
Default Oct 28, 2014 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncurtains View Post
You didn't offend me. And thanks for what you said. My church isn't abusive in any way. I actually really like my church and believe in what is taught there. But I'm just more afraid of the unwanted attention and constant questions. I think they would be worried, but in a way where they think I should be closer with God about what I feel, and that they would try to make me 'closer' with God. I just wish people understood that prayer and God helps, but ultimately we need something human to fix us. (Sorry, I don't want to use fix, but I can't think of a better word)
You are absolutely right browncurtains. Prayer and God comforts people with mental illness but it does not treat mental illness or make it go away. That is simply magical thinking. If one of them had cancer would he/she just try to pray it away. No, they'd go to a proper doctor and get treated. Why doesn't the same apply for mental illness? What I see here are church folks demonizing mental illness, acting as if you're possessed or something and some good old prayer and churchin will exorcise you. Ignorance about mental illness causes this type of behavior.

Thanks for this!
Musica91