Veteran Member

Member Since Nov 2013
351 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 09, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardlady View Post
I work with adolescents. I've seen a trend to call typical changes in mood "bipolar." When I hear it it's usually used as an excuse to explain unacceptable behavior.

A couple of years ago there was a trend locally for teens to "diagnose" themselves with DID. They never saw a pdoc, just decided they had DID because of mood changes during the day.

In my experience it isn't just teens who do this. Parents of active young boys will decide the child has ADHD because he is a typical active little boy. I've been accused by co-workers of being OCD because I want my paperwork to be accurate. I'm not OCD. I just want my paperwork to be correct.
For someone who has experienced OCD, I for one can tell you that OCD is not all about being organized or cleanly. Those things you are actually doing to prevent something bad from happening. I used to clap my hands and then rub them together whenever I had a bad flashback appear in my head, and that happened several times throughout the day. With meds I stopped doing that, and eventually I just got over it. I have even had racing thoughts in my head that prevented me from doing school work, and had worries about things that I couldn't control.

THAT is what OCD really is.
BubonicPlague is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
hamster-bamster, Lemon Curd

Thanks for this!
hamster-bamster, lizardlady