View Single Post
SnakeCharmer
Grand Member

Member Since May 2014
826 hugs
given
Default Nov 09, 2014 at 07:11 PM

The highest risk is from taking long-term low dose steroid pills. There are a lot of other really bad side effects, too, but mental and emotional problems can occur that can be quite severe.

I have a rheumatological disorder where the recommended treatment is taking low-dose steroid pills for one-three years. I can't bring myself to do it. 85% of the time, the symptoms are just serious pain and stiffness. That's what I have. 15% of the time, there's a complication that can be fatal. My doctor and I decided together that I wouldn't take long-term steroids unless it was to save my life.

So, in the meantime, I take a 5 day course of pills 2-3 times per year, when the pain gets too bad. I also get steroid shots in various body parts when the pain is localized and severe.

The 5 day course of pills gives me some emotional symptoms. I feel more irritable and less patient. But I really don't know if that's from the pills themselves or what I'm taking the pills for -- serious pain.

Within two days after stopping the pills, I'm back to myself. There are no long-lasting emotional side effects for me. Maybe I've been lucky. I don't know.

I have never had any emotional symptoms at all from steroid shots, which I've had in my shoulders, hips, bursa, spinal areas, sacroiliac joint area and both feet. I've also had long-acting steroid shots for severe allergic reactions. It's a lot of shots, but it's been a maximum of three a year.

My experience with shots has all been good. Some people report not so good experiences. But for me it's been a godsend. I hope it works for you.
SnakeCharmer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
thickntired