vital
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Oct 2014
1,785 hugs
given
Default Nov 12, 2014 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_frogger View Post
This sounds like a great depression remedy and I'm definitely going to try it, I just have one question. One of my problem is I've always been an overly impulsive person. Admittedly, I do do a lot of things subconsciously and I make some decisions that I don't follow through/procrastinate with. But how do you utilize this technique in a way that doesn't negatively affect your self-discipline?

Say, for example that I'm working on an important paper for school and I suddenly feel like watching a basketball game, snap my fingers and start watching and don't get my paper done? What if I suddenly feel like having a drink or smoking some weed and I snap my fingers and do it? While ruminating and dwelling on decisions is surely bad, surely overly impulsive decisions can have negative effects too.

What do you do to counter this?
An Interesting question young frogger

The idea is not to make IMPULSIVE decisions, but rather to make CONSCIOUS decisions. You don't really have to worry about that when you start out anyway, because it's best to just make lots and lots of tiny decisions that don't have any big consequences. See #4 and #44 of this thread for examples. If you try out SNAP CLUB that way, I think you'll find that shockingly few of the things you do in your daily life are preceded by any conscious decision at all. The moment when you SNAP gives you a chance to be conscious about it. "Am I really going to quit working on this paper now and watch basketball?" Maybe yes, maybe no. I'm not trying to run your life, just free you up to truly decide for yourself.

You might want to also look at #45 for my general advice including getting yourself a nice medical checkup.

I'LL SEE YOU IN HEALTH!!

- vital

Last edited by vital; Nov 12, 2014 at 10:05 PM..

Thanks for this!
cryingontheinside, Young_frogger